Granite is one of the most popular stone types available. Learn five facts about this beautiful stone:
1. Granite is a type of igneous rock. Igneous rocks are formed from volcanic activity where the molten rock crystallizes deep below the surface with pressure and heat over millions of years.
2. Granite is one of the hardest substances in the world. The only material that is harder than granite is a diamond. The hardness of granite makes it durable. Unlike other stone types, granite won’t crumble or break over time.
3. Granite varies in color. Due to the variety of minerals that make up the stone, granite color varies dramatically and ranges from deep reds to pink to gold, green, grey to black. Since granite is a natural stone, no two slabs are identical. Check out some of our colors by clicking here!
4. Granite is one of the most desired materials for countertops, but it is also a great material for other applications like public sculptures and fountains. Granite is ideal for outdoor stone pieces because it can handle the elements without showing wear or breakage. Granite fountains and statues can be left outside all winter long without having to be covered up like other more porous stone types.
5. Granite has been used as a building material for centuries. It was used in ancient Egypt, and Mt. Rushmore was carved from granite, too.